Mental health is how we feel, think and act as we cope with life. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others and make choices. Studies indicate that 1% of the population suffer from severe mental health disorders, while 5-10% of Indians suffer from moderate disturbances. At Apollo Clinic Beliaghata, our team of highly skilled and experienced psychiatrists and psychologists provide a range of diagnostic, psychotherapeutic and medical services for the management of psychiatric disorders.
What is Psychiatry?
Psychiatry is the study and treatment of mental illnesses, emotional disturbances and abnormal behaviour. At Apollo Clinic Beliaghata, our Centre of Psychiatry envisions to provide world-class mental health care by a team of eminent psychiatry and psychology professionals. We provide medical and psychotherapeutic modalities for all kinds of mental health disorders ranging from mood disorders to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
What is the first step?
The biggest challenge of mental health disorders is to identify that there is a problem. The first sign of any mental health issue differs from person to person and are not always easy to spot. Very often, in cases of moderate depression or anxiety, the person becoming distressed may not display symptoms or may deliberately hide them.
There are multiple causes of mental illness. People with a family history of psychiatric disorders, long-standing prolonged stress, chronic illness, regular use of alcohol and substance use and abuse are more vulnerable to mental illnesses.
Signs & Symptoms
- Our expert team at Apollo Clinic, Beliaghata advises on some signs and symptoms of mental illness to be concerned about, such as:
- Recent social withdrawal and a lack of interest in others. A sudden or an unexpected drop in functioning, either at school or work which includes failing in school, quitting sports or a difficulty performing certain tasks.
- Heightened sensitivity to sounds, sights, touch or smells.
- Problems or difficulties with concentration, memory, or logical thought and speech that are hard to explain.
- Lack of initiative or a desire to participate in any activity.
- Anxiety or suspiciousness of others or an intense nervous feeling.
- A sense of unreality or a vague feeling of being disconnected from oneself or one’s surroundings.
- Uncharacteristic, peculiar behaviour.
- Unusual or exaggerated beliefs regarding personal or “magical” powers, to understand the meanings or influence events.
- Rapid or dramatic shifts in feelings or mood swings.
- Dramatic sleep and changes in appetite or deterioration in personal hygiene.
Just the prevalence of a few of these symptoms cannot predict a mental disorder or illness. However, if a person experience several of these symptoms together for prolonged periods of time, it could indicate a mental health problem. It is always advisable to seek the services of a mental health professional at the earliest; early intervention is better for all concerned. Advancements in medication are continually improving the outlook of people with mental illnesses. With sufficient psychological and social support, most people with mental disorders can have an active and fulfilled life.
How can we help you?
At Apollo Clinic Beliaghata, we conduct a range of therapies for children and young adolescents. A few of the specific treatments and services for different groups include:
Pharmacotherapy (medication) – This therapy is given for issues such as de-addiction treatment for alcohol, nicotine and substance abuse, individual counselling, premarital counselling, career counselling, identity disorders/gender reassignment, marital therapy, family therapy.
Children and adolescents – We offer psychiatric services for problems such as learning difficulties, sleeping and eating disorders, over-activity and poor concentration (ADHD), conduct problems, separation anxiety, autism, depressive disorders, sexually deviant behaviour, drug abuse dependence
Adults – Therapy is given for various disorders, including anxiety disorders, mood disorders, psychotic disorders, sleep and eating disorders, sexual disorders, gender identity disorders and substance-related disorders.
Geriatric – We provide services for disorders such as dementia and delirium faced by geriatric population. We also conduct programs to educate caregivers.
At Apollo Clinic Beliaghata, our team of distinguished psychiatrists and psychologists understand that treating mental health disorders involves specialised therapy and empathetic approach. Our multidisciplinary team evaluates children and adults via personal interviews, assessment, psychological testing and laboratory tests and offer customised treatment combining the quality-of-life programs, support programs, workshops, psychotherapy and counselling.